We recently interviewed Ms. Waters, a Spanish teacher here at Jericho Middle School. She co-advises the Gay/Straight Alliance Club with Mrs. Brill, and we had some questions for her.
1. What is the purpose of the GSA?
The purpose is to educate students and the community about issues related to the
LGBTQ community. Also, it’s a chance to provide a safe space to ask questions and
share stories and experiences. We also have lots of fun!
2. Who does it help? How does it help these students?
I believe it helps the entire school community through education and we also bring
visibility to the LGBTQ community.
3. Have you seen changes at JMS since you started the club?
Yes, more and more students and staff are open about sharing their own real world
experiences about this topic. I also feel that students feel safer and freer to be
4. How long has the GSA been in existence here at JMS?
I started the club about 13 years ago.
5. What is your favorite part about GSA?
I love to see students get to be their authentic selves with nothing to hide. As the students say, "The GSA is
more than a club, it’s a family!"